Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Word from the Wise

I am running towards the finish line on my 8th year of homeschooling. Usually around May I start to feel a bit weary. Since Bob is a high school teacher, he can relate. He calls it "senioritis".  I call it "i want to quit" or "this is too hard" or "that's it! i'm all done. you are all going to public school tomorrow".

Last week I was feeling my oldest out, trying to see how receptive she'd be to attending school next year. NOT our homeschool.

Her calm and measured response was, "Oh Mom. I don't want to go to school. I like yours. Anyway, you always want to quit this time of year ."

She is growing up. And growing wise. I am so proud of her for being so level-headed and sound-minded.Where did she get that from?

NOT from me. My favorite quip is "Keep calm and carry on." For a reason. I need a constant reminder since this does not come naturally to me.

Since this conversation, God has provided plenty of encouragement to stay the course, to finish the race, and to end well. I always need a little of that in May. And He always graciously reminds me what I am doing and why--and HOW to accomplish it. I can do it! Only by His grace and in His strength. But it was so nice to know that I have this wonderful, witty, and wise advocate living in my own house. A child of my own.

Amazing! She was just a tiny kindergartner just the other day.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27




No comments:

Post a Comment