Sunday, May 9, 2010

I Heart My Mom

One of only a few photos of my Mom and Me.
I need to remedy that! This one isn't very flattering!
December 2008

Mothers Day will never be the same for my mom. It was changed forever on December 14, 2008, when her second child died. Bryan was her sweet, funny little boy. He grew up to be a kind, funny big boy. Because I have three sons, imagining the pain of knowing Bryan won't be bringing flowers today slays me. Mothers Day isn't as sweet when two children are now one.

Bryan was a doting son. No one can replace his place as the "Best Gift Giver Ever". He always spoiled my Mom. Now there is just me. I am not so good at doting. And I am terrible at gifts. They aren't my love language. But words are. So this Mothers Day, I offer these words to my beloved Momma:

My mom is a great mom. I won't list all the ways that she showed Bryan and I that we were the most important things in her life. But we always knew. Always. Even though she doesn't use words often, my Mom communicates her love for me in a hundred different unspoken ways. Big ways and small.I know that I am still one of the most important things in her life.

Daily encouragement and prayers, Taco Tuesdays, pre-schooler teaching, new undies, Family Nights, and all the adventures that she joins me on. My mom is present in my life. A comforting, reassuring, constant presence. I am so glad that we live so close. Are so close.

Nothing makes my heart smile more than seeing Kate run into her arms, squealing her name. Nothing makes me laugh harder than watching my Mom act like a kid to make my children giggle. Nothing makes a lump form in my throat quicker than watching my mom cuddled up on the couch reading to Peter.

I am so proud to be her daughter and I honor my Mom on this Mothers Day. For both of us.


2 comments:

  1. We do need to have more pictures together, why is that? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tribute from "both" of you. The one big thing your dad and I discovered as parents is that "actions speak louder than word", unless of course you love language is words (and for that I am heartly sorry I fail at). Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete