Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spring in My Garden

My dreams for Spring, in no particular order:

I want my kids to get along with each other as they eat their unprocessed, homemade, healthy breakfast. Without me having to get out of bed with them at 6:00am.

I long to be thin again. Without having to give up eating endless chips and guacamole.

I like clean socks, sorted and paired neatly in drawers. Without having to do loads and loads and loads (and loads...) of laundry.

I aspire to have my children well-educated and enriched. While I cuddle up with a good book and a hot cup of tea. After a nap.

I crave an active and healthy lifestyle. Without...well, see above.

I long for a intimate, authentic relationship with God. Without having to listen to Him and obey His Word.

I fancy a close and endearing relationship with my husband. Without having to meet his needs for respect.

I want the world to be a better place for those less fortunate than me. Without having to live sacrifically.

I want to enjoy the children I am raising. Without having to teach them by my example to be patient, selfless, and kind.

I desire to be the kind of person I hope my children become. Without having to actually DO anything.

While I admit that science has never been my thing, it is clear that I lack a fundamental understanding of a basic law of nature. You reap what you sow. For a while now, I have sown weeds and tares and waited expectantly for wholesome fruit and lovely flowers to appear. What a dork.

Today I took a good long look at my "garden" and it feels nearly overwhelming--all this yard work that needs to be done around here. Not just the "real" weeds in our lawn and flower beds and garden spot. But the tares of selfishness, laziness, unkindness, covetousness, bitterness are crowding in. Cleaning up my lot in life seems daunting and back-breaking. Pulling weeds--the ones that threaten to choke out the life of anything lovely in my garden--is definitely not my idea of fun. I don't even know where to start.

Galatians 6:7
"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows."

That's not true. I do know where to start. I hear Him, the Gardener of my soul, whisper to me that it is when I seek HIM...God's approval and pleasure alone...then He will grant me joy. He will make the tasty fruit grow in my life. He alone can bring something beautiful out of the mess I have made in my weed-filled garden.

Oh the joy of glimpsing (again!) a bit of that BIG truth today. Grace. Grace. Grace.

Nehemiah 8:11
"The joy of the Lord is my strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment