Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Junk Hunt

In an effort to create some energy and fun in the daily routine of keeping rooms tidy around here, I decided to play a game with my kids today during chore time. Junk Hunt. A sort of Show & Tell to raise my children's awareness of our tendency to keep too much useless stuff around. The object of the game was to locate the strangest, most useless item in their room. We are practicing simplification and decluttering this Spring.

Can my kids get credit for that in homeschool?

Back to the game--the judge (me!) would award a prize to the child who cleaned their room and presented his/her object for show and tell in the Junk Hunt contest.

Here are the entries:

Please don't ask about the bottle of wine. I will tell you that it is unopened.


But this object was voted MOST USELESS JUNK:

In case you can't figure out what it is...let me explain. The statue. Not the wine.

This little bronze figurine of Apollo came from Italy from a wonderfully thoughtful family member (who hopefully does not read this blog) who knew we were studying Ancinet Greece in History.


Kate's words during her acceptance speech (they got to eat the chocolate bunny), and I quote:

"Every girl needs their own naked Greek god to watch over her at night."

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this game. I am going to steal it from you. I am sure that headless barbie came in a close second!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hoot Kate is. I would say she has a great sense of humor but she doesn't even know when she is being funny. She is just open and honest, a "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" kind of girl. You gotta love her (and I do). Mom

    ReplyDelete